Sunday 25 April 2010

The 'What If Everyone Thought Like You' Brigade

Tell some people you don't ever vote and they'll get on their high horse, and say something along the lines of 'well, if everyone thought like you, where would the world be?'

Well, everyone doesn't think like me, and neither should they. I don't value the opportunity to vote, whereas some see it as the pinnacle of freedom, the prize hard won through years of struggle. If I were a woman, Emmeline Pankhurst would surely be mentioned by those disgusted at my flippancy. They'll point out the numerous countries in which dictatorships rule and free voting doesn't exist.

I know all that. Fact remains there are enough people who will always vote, allowing people like me to fritter away the opportunity, without fearing the total collapse of society.